Driving Tour Northside Driving Tour 1. Begin at the Tennessee Williams Welcome Center. 300 Main St. Built c.1875, this building was the rectory for St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, one block south. Thomas Lanier Williams, III was born here in 1911 when his grandfather was rector.. Moved to make way for church expansion, the house now serves as the Welcome Center. National Register. National Literary Landmark. 2. Elks Lodge. 309 Main. Built in 1901, this two story, brick Queen Anne structure was home to the Benevolent Order of Elks, Columbus Lodge. This time has been called the golden age of fraternal organizations, and three such organizations were housed in downtown Columbus. The Elks Lodge was a center of Columbus social life during the first half of the 20th century. National Register. Drive east on Main Street. 3. The McGahey Building, now the National Bank of Commerce. 427 Main St. Built 1908. Late Renaissance Revival, four story brick building with a distinctive clock hanging at the corner. The clock was moved from the previous bank location one block south. The 8” vault inside has never been breached. Miss. Dept. of Archives and History Preservation Award. 4. City Hall. 525 Main St. A 1903 Georgian Revival Structure. The small building extending west was once the police department and city jail. Around the corner at 115 6th St N is a unique Romanesque Revival building. The north part was built before 1885 to be the Columbus Light Artillery Armory. The south part of the building was constructed in 1903 to be the City Fire Station. It is the oldest and only known surviving example of a city militia armory in the state of Mississippi, and one of only a few in the nation. Now the Firehouse Commons Condos. Find the openings for the stable doors. Miss. Heritage Trust Award. Mississippi Historic Landmark. 5. Main Street Presbyterian Church. 110 7th St. N. The 1885 brick structure is the second on the site, the first dated to 1829. In 1894, the church established the Palmer Home for Children. Late Gothic Revival style. Continue east on Main Street. 6. The Sanders Home. 1103 Main St. This is the second Sanders home on this location. The first, built by Mr. Sanders’ great-grandfather, burned in 1917. This house was constructed around the northeast bedroom, the only room not burned. Completed in 1919, the three story Georgian structure is the last remaining large home of all those that lined Main Street in past years. Turn north at 13th Street. Go to 3rd Ave and turn west. 7. Ole Magnolia. 1219 3rd Ave N. Built c. 1853. In 1900, David McClanahan, then Mayor of Columbus, purchased the property and incorporated the old kitchen house into the main structure. He made the house large enough for his wife and 10 children, including a secret compartment in the master bedroom where he hid his liquor from his teetotaling wife. Currently undergoing a major expansion. 8. Baskerville Manor. 905 3rd Ave. N. The elegant Italianate townhouse, 1860, was the last home completed in Columbus before the outbreak of the Civil War. It was added on to the earlier 1840s structure, a coach stop on the Military Road. The first owners were Laura Young Whitfield of Waverley Plantation and her husband Henry Whitfield, son of Governor James Whitfield of Snowdoun, just across the street. A two story brick coach house and smokehouse remain intact. 9. Snowdoun. 906 3rd Ave N. c 1854. A Greek Revival home with octagonal features built by Gov. James Whitfield. When Jefferson Davis was campaigning for the U.S. Senate, he stayed here, but his sleep was disturbed by a noisy crowd of supporters. To calm them, he addressed them from the balcony in his nightshirt! In 1863, the home was sold to John M. Billups whose descendants were to remain for 100 years. Recent owners have added sumptuous modern conveniences to ensure that this magnificent edifice is also a comfortable, livable home. National Register. National Landmark 10. Sneed Home. 823 3rd Ave. N. 1905. A classic Colonial Revival home has been updated to include every modern convenience and luxury. 11. Sims Law Office. 809 3rd Ave. N. 1870s. Italianate frame cottage, beautifully maintained. 12. Taynore. 806 3rd Ave N. 1854. Greek Revival. Taynore served as the parsonage for the adjacent First Baptist Church and was the residence of the nationally known Rev. Thomas Teasdale. Born in New Jersey and educated in New York, he knew both Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis. His concern for children was well known, and when he requested they both sign a document allowing him to carry needed supplies to the Mississippi Orphans Home, they both did. His grave in Friendship Cemetery is marked by the Weeping Angel sculpture, a fitting marker for a universally acknowledged good man. 13. Franklin Academy. Est. 1921, the oldest free public school in Mississippi. The first frame building was 30’ x 40’. In 1835, two 2-story brick buildings were constructed, one for boys and one for girls with a fence between. In 1877, Union Academy, the school for African American children established by the American Missionary Association, became a separate branch of Franklin Academy. The historic marker in front details further history. Today, Franklin Academy is an elementary school. 14. Franklin Square. 423 3rd Ave. N. 1835. Pascal Wade hired pioneer builder Neil Bartee to construct the imposing brick structure. A pedimented portico with two pairs of square columns on the east side flanks a full two story portico with four pairs of square columns on the main, southern entry. Sydney Franklin bought it in 1870 and made a major expansion. Six generations of his descendants have lived in this magnificent home. 15. L. J. Frank Home. 406 3rd Ave. N. 1835. Built by Pascal Wade. During Reconstruction, it was occupied by a Carpetbagger who hid his gold in the well on the place. Part of Factory Hill et al Historic District, National Register. 16. Taylor-Nash House. 401 3rd Ave. N. Probably built in early 1830s by James Taylor. Raised cottage with a 5-bay design with two separate doors opening to the front porch. During the first half of the 20th century, it was the home of the prominent educator, Professor S. M. Nash. Part of Factory Hill Historic District, National Register. Continue west on 3rd Ave. N. to the Columbus Soccer Complex. Turn left at the Soccer Fields. Go to 2nd Ave N. Turn right and go one block west. Observe the brick church on your left. 17. Site of the Shiloh Missionary Church. In 1821, enslaved people built a shelter of brush in the grove here and held worship services. Called a “brush arbor” church. Turn and go east on 2nd Ave N. 18. The Haven. 315 2nd Ave N. 1843. The only structure in Columbus built as a home before the Civil War by and for two free men of color. Thomas and Isaac Williams came from South Carolina, bought the property, and constructed the 2-story brick and frame house in the Low Country style. Thomas’s blacksmith shop was located on a corner of the property. The Williams brothers moved to Texas in 1850, but the house was only sold in 1858, after Thomas’s death. Artifacts uncovered by Frank and Esther Troskey during restoration in the 1970s are on display in the home. Now an Airbnb. 19. Gleed’s Corner. The southwest corner of 5th St and 2nd Ave N is known as Gleed’s corner for Robert Gleed, a former slave, who established a dry goods store after the Civil War. Gleed was a state senator during Reconstruction and is buried in historic Sandfield Cemetery. The Penney Savings Bank, the first local African American bank, was also located here. The present building is from 1940, rebuilt after a massive fire destroyed a large part of the block. 20. Lowndes County Courthouse. 505 2nd Ave N. The first courthouse was erected in 1832 and was replaced in 1847 by the current building designed by architect James Lull. The courthouse was remodeled and enlarged in 1901 when the clock was installed, then renovated again in 1976. 21. Harrison Law Office. 506 2nd Ave N. 1850. Described by archivist Ken P’Pool as “an architectural jewel, employing only the basics of Grecian design to impart a Classical appearance”. Law office of Judge James T. Harrison and his partner Mr. Harris. 22. Woodmen of the World Building. 1857-1859. One of the largest surviving antebellum office buildings in Mississippi, the lodge hall was on the third floor while two-room offices were on the first and second floors. The buildings on this side of the street are collectively called “Lawyers’ Row”. 23. The Fourth Estate. 624 2nd Ave N. 1902 Colonial Revival style, 2-story brick home. 24. The First Baptist Church. Organized in 1832 by Thomas Blewett, the first structure was built by James Lull in 1838. The second, this Late Gothic Revival church was built in 1908 by R. H. Hunt. The ninth minister was Thomas Teasdale who wanted to build an orphanage for children whose parents had died in the Civil War. 25. Temple B’nai Israel. 712 2nd Ave N. 1960 brick hexagonal building. Organized in 1878, the congregation first rented a building for services for 30 years, then built the first temple on this location. In 1960, the old building was razed and the present temple erected. From above, the building has the shape of the Star of David. Turn left onto 7th St N. 26. The Lee Home and Museum. 316 7th St. N. 1844. Contains the Florence McLeod Hazard local history museum. Built by James Lull for Thomas Blewett, the most famous resident was Stephen D. Lee, soldier, statesman, educator, and historical preservationist. Married to Blewett’s granddaughter Regina, Lee became the first President of the now Miss. State University. National Register. Mississippi Landmark. 27. Camellia Place. 416 7th St. N. 1847. Greek Revival brick home built by James S. Lull for his personal residence. Mrs. Eugenia Moore bought the home from Lull’s heirs c. 1880 and modernized it by adding dark mahogany woodwork, marble and onyx mantels, and a cherry handrail for the staircase that winds to the 3rd floor cupola. Named for the numerous camellia bushes. 28. The Fort House. 510 7th St. N. The first owner from 1833-1877 was Martha Fort whose first husband was Elias Fort. The Greek Revival features with double porticoes and ornate fretwork between columns was believed added in the 1840s. The house is sumptuously furnished with Belter and other important antiques and decorated with custom Zuber paper and specially reproduced Stark carpet. National Register. 29. Rosewood Manor. 719 7th St N. Built by planter Richard Sykes in 1835, this dignified Greek Revival home is set in the midst of four acres of landscaped gardens. Behind the house is a charming wedding chapel. National Register. 30. Leighcrest. 824 7th St. N. Built c. 1840 by James Lull for Mrs. Cordelia Jones, wife of Dr. Aurelius Jones of Corner Cottage. It passed through several hands until it was sold in 1876 to Capt. Frank M. Leigh. It has remained in the Leigh family until now. It was part of a 1,000 acre farm which stretched from Leigh Mall on Highway 45 to Bluecutt Road. National Register. Turn East onto Highland Circle. 31. The Lindamood Home. 810 Highland Circle. This stately structure which has also been called Highland House, survives as one of the largest Neoclassical buildings in North Mississippi. Built in 1909 to replace an antebellum structure that burned, the brick came from the brick company owned by Lindamood and Puckett. This type house is sometimes called the “Robber Baron” style. National Register. 32. Schaeffer Place. 1000 10th St. N. Built in 1832 by Rev. George Schaeffer, a Methodist circuit rider whose name still graces Schaefer’s Chapel in western Lowndes County. A historian and writer, Rev. Schaeffer lived here until his death in 1886. His descendants live here still. Turn left onto 10th Ave N. Go two blocks east, then turn left onto 12th St N. 33. Magnolia Hill. 1006 12th St. N. c. 1826. Thomas C. McGee enclosed a two-room raised log cabin to make a raised cottage which faced Military Road. In 1837, the new owners, the W. B. Winston family, added two Greek Revival wings and a large canopied porch. Inherited by daughter Cornelia Winston and her husband Dr. Cornelius Hardy, the house remained in the Hardy family until 1948. Turn right and go down the hill to Military. Turn right on Military, then left on 13th St , turning left after Military Hardware to go east on 10th Ave N. 34. Union Academy. 1425 10th Ave N. The historic marker in front of the school details its distinguished role in the education of African American children in Columbus beginning right after the Civil War. Union Academy began as an African American school run by the American Missionary Association until 1877 when it became a branch of the all-white Franklin Academy. Professor W. I. Mitchell served as the school”s first African-American principal from 1878 to 1916. Turn right on 15th St. Head south. 35. Helen’s Kitchen. 708 15th St. N. A Columbus institution, Helen Karriem is known for the excellence of her southern dishes, the warmth of her welcome, I and her generosity to the community. She continues the family tradition of her mother in their Catfish Alley restaurant, Jones’ Cafe. She was recently recognized by being the Grand Marshal for the Columbus Christmas Parade. Continue south to 5th Ave N. Turn right. 36. Missionary Union Church. 1207 5th Ave N. Organized in 1833, MU is the oldest African-American church in northeast Mississippi. Services were first held Sunday and Wednesday afternoons in the basement of the all-white First Baptist Church. The church was chartered in 1867 with the Rev. Jesse Boulder as pastor. In 1871, the church purchased the present site and added on to the existing structure. Rev. Boulder organized the General Baptist Assn. of Miss., served in the state legislature, organized the Republican Party in NE Miss., and spearheaded the effort to elect Hiram Revels the first Black U.S. Senator. Continue West on 5th Ave N 37. Dr. Theodoric V James House. 1104 5th Ave. N. Historically significant as the residence of the first African American physician in Columbus. Dr. James was a graduate of Meharry Medical School in Nashville and maintained an office upstairs over Jones’ Cafe in Catfish Alley. His son T. V. James, Jr. was a longtime employee at the White House in the nation’s capitol. The home is still owned by James’s descendants. Proceed south on 11th St. Turn right on 3rd Ave. Turn right on 9th St. 38. Sunnyside. 324 9th St N. Built in 1834, architect William O’Neal added the Columbus Eclectic features in an 1854 renovation. National Register. Proceed with caution across Military Road on 9th St N. Yield to oncoming cars. 39. The Harrison- Imes Home. 419 9th St. N. The historic marker reads, “Built by Thomas Blewett c. 1840 for his daughter Regina and James Harrison, leading lawyer and politician. Site of 1865 marriage of Stephen D. And Regina Harrison Lee.” The 2-story brick construction is reminiscent of the S. D. Lee Home. 40. Temple Heights. 515 9th St N. Built in 1837 by Richard Brownrigg as a copy of a family home in North Carolina, there are two rooms and a stair hall on each of four floors. The federal facade was altered in 1854 by the addition of 14 Doric columns on three sides to reflect the newer Greek Revival style. Later the home of Jane Fontaine of Decoration Day fame. National Register. Mississippi Landmark. 41. Josh Meador Birthplace. 823 6th Ave N. The historic marker points out the childhood home of the Disney animator and special effects innovator. Early sketches are preserved in the small garage behind the home. 42. The Harris-Wade Home. 608 9th St N. Date unknown. The first version of the home is believed to be antebellum and faced Military Road. Additions c. 1900 have resulted in a graceful Queen Anne residence which faces 9th St. Mayor Thomas Harris lived here in the early 20th century, and his only child Martha became a mathematics professor who married Dr. Clyde Kilby, a distinguished English professor and authority on the works of C. S. Lewis and Tolkien. Observe the lovely landscaped gardens of the present owners. 43. Aldan Hall. 901 7th Ave N. Built by John Shelby Topp in 1840, the original Federal structure was two rooms over two with a central stair hall. Mr. Topp was a lawyer and trustee of both Franklin Academy and the Columbus Female Institute. With eleven children, he had a vested interest in education. When the Topp family moved in 1854, the property was purchased by James Sykes, planter and member of a prominent family. Sykes enlarged the home and added the Greek Revival portico. Wayne Bryan made extensive restorations in the 1980s. The name Aldan Hall is for the two Bryan sons. 44. The Oaks. 904 7th Ave N. 1835. A gravely endangered historic home. Built by Joseph Sykes, uncle to James Sykes of Aldan Hall, the house originally faced Military Road. The gingerbread trim was added when it was decided that the north entrance would be the main one, probably when the streets were first paved. Gardens and orchards originally extended all the way down to Military. Turn left onto 7th Ave N. Proceed west. 45. The Dowsing-Banks Home. 820 7th Ave N. 1840. View the consequences of selling one’s front yard. Only the rear of what is currently an apartment building may be seen from 7th Ave. William Dowsing, Land Registrar and a trustee of Franklin Academy, lived here with his wife and 11 children before selling to Dunstan Banks. Captain H. D. Foote and his 7 children lived here next. They were related to Shelby Foote, the Civil War historian and author. There were stories of the ghost of Capt. Foote walking upstairs in the house long after his death. 46. The Reed Cabins. 811 6th Ave N. The rear of the 3 log cabins collected by Mrs. Beth Reed may be seen from 7th Ave. Turn left onto 8th St, then left on 6th Ave N. 47. Wisteria Place. 524 8th St N. 1854. This Greek Revival home was built in 1854 by James Lull for William R. Cannon, state senator. Cannon did not get to enjoy his home for long, dying of typhoid fever in 1858 just after his 54th birthday. Two years later, his widow married Alexander Meek, poet and former professor at the University of Alabama. Wisteria Place was renowned for its hospitality and lively gatherings. Ride past the fronts of the Reed Cabin, then try to glimpse the front of the Dowsing-Banks Home. This is made difficult by the fact a brick house obscures the front of the house. Pass in front of Temple Heights on the right, then continue down the hill to Military, passing the lovely gardens of the Harris-Wade Home. Turn right on Military and follow it back to Main Street. This concludes the Northside Tour. Southside Driving Tour 1. Begin at the Tennessee Williams Welcome Center, 300 Main Street. The first home of acclaimed playwright Tennessee Williams, this 1878 structure was the rectory for St. Paul’s Episcopal Church where Williams’ grandfather was the parish priest. It was moved here, one block north of the church grounds, in 1995. Proceed south on 3rd Street 2. Ole Homestead. 302 College St. 1825. This early vernacular raised cottage built by Charles Albert originally faced the river as a two over two structure. In 1835, the new owner John Kirk added an east wing facing College St. 3. Twelve Gables. 220 3rd St S. Decoration Day was begun here in 1866 by Matt Morton and three of her friends. The New York Tribune printed the story of the ladies decorating both Union and Confederate graves. Reading the account, E. M. Finch wrote the poem “The Blue and the Gray” in tribute. Twelve Gables has ashlar, or wooden boards painted to resemble stone, on the front. 4. Swoope Home, 1852. 221 3rd St S. A Greek Revival home with the original kitchen and dining room in the basement. Turn west on 3rd Ave S 5. Errolton, 1848, National Register. 216 3rd Ave S. The Columbus Eclectic style is Greek Revival with delicate Gothic tracery between the six columns. Errolton has fine antiques and family treasures. 6. The Campbell House, 1840. 215 3rd Ave S. Also known as the Weaver Cottage, this charming cottage was built by John Henry Richards. Local legend states that merchant William B. Weaver and family lived here during the construction of their home Errolton, then called “the Weaver Home”, in 1848. Turn south on 2nd St 7. Belle Bridge, 1856. 208 4th Ave S. A classic Greek Revival home built by architect James Lull. Served as a hospital during the Civil War. 8. Riverview, c 1850. 514 2nd St S. National Register. National Historic Landmark. Designed & built by James Lull for Charles McLaran, this Greek Revival showplace has matching facades on front & back, as well as a large cupola with stained glass windows to represent the four seasons. 9. Pratt Thomas Home, c 1833. 519 2nd St S. National Register. Raised cottage with “welcoming arms” front staircase. The principal rooms are on the second level while the kitchen and dining rooms are below. 10. Sims Shangri-la. 603 2nd St. S. Victorian. The Buders, prominent Columbus jewelers, were first to live here. Fine stained glass & double bay windows. 11. Lehmquen, 1838. 613 2nd St S. Raised cottage built by attorney George Clayton. House contains personal effects of Augusta Sykes Murdoch Cox of Decoration Day fame. 12. Colonnade. 620 2nd St S. Greek Revival with asymmetrically placed entry. Graceful formal gardens. Built by Dr. William Baldwin. 13. White Arches, 1857. National Register. 122 7th Ave S. A unique example of Greek Revival architecture enlivened by Gothic Revival and Italianate touches, White Arches has a central octagonal tower. Jeptha Vining Harris, builder, served in the Mississippi legislature. 14. Homewood, 1837. 800 2nd St S. Greek Revival. Built by W. M. Cozart at 7th and Main Street, members of the prominent Billups family lived at Homewood for a hundred years. The house was moved to its present location to make way for a bank. Turn right on 8th Ave S in front of Homewood. Then turn right onto 1st St 15. Butterworth House, 1820. 115 5th Ave S. This enclosed log cottage was moved from half a block away. Continue to drive north along the Bluff that overlooks the Tombigbee River. Steamboats would have been a welcome sight 150 years ago. 16. The Widegren Home. Constructed in 1957, the clean lines of this classic Mid-Century Modern home blend into its surroundings seamlessly. Architect Fred Harrison faithfully followed the concepts introduced by Frank Lloyd Wright and commissioned by original owners Dorothy and Thure Widegren. Turn east at College Street and go up the hill. Turn right at 3rd St and proceed south. 17. Corner Cottage. 304 4th Ave S. Dr. Aurelius Jones, physician, druggist, and state representative, built a one-room, late Federal structure in 1837. Other rooms were added, and the house now has seven bedrooms and six fireplaces. A hidden staircase is accessed through a closet door. 18. Primrose. 419 3rd St S. Circa 1850, Primrose is an fine example of an older home that has been preserved and recently updated with loving care. 19. Azalea Place. 420 3rd St S. 1869 Italianate structure with square turret. 20. The Hatcher Home. 604 3rd St S. C. 1900. Elaborate decorative patterns on the gables reflect the Queen Anne/Eastlake style. 21. Whitehall. 607 3rd St S. James W. Harris built the stately Greek Revival mansion in 1843; his brother Jeptha V. Harris built nearby White Arches. Whitehall was used as a hospital during the Civil War. During World War II, the basement was used as a servicemen’s club. National Register. Historic American Buildings Survey. Turn left on 7th Ave. S. then turn left onto 4th St and proceed North. 22. Barry Home. 506 4th St S. Built c 1840 by Dr. William Topp who later built Rosedale, the Italianate townhouse features ornately carved columns. Lawyer William Barry bought the house in 1857. A graduate of Yale Law School, he became Speaker of the Miss. House of Representatives. National Register. 23. Worrell-Waggoner Home. 405 4th St S. This charming cottage with elaborate crosses carved into the front porch columns was built in 1840 by Willam Worrell, a carpenter, land speculator, city alderman, and father of twelve. 24. The Judge Franklin Home. 408 4th St S. A fine example of Prairie style, this dignified home has a lovely side yard. 25. St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. 318 College St. Gothic Revival. Parish organized in 1837, present church building consecrated 1860. Contains fine stained glass windows in sanctuary and chapel, one by Tiffany. Tennessee Williams’ grandfather Walter Dakin was rector here when Williams was born. 26. Catfish Alley. 100 block of 4th St. The Mississippi Blues Trail Marker denotes the importance of Catfish Alley in the lives of black and white citizens beginning in 1891. It was an important black commercial area with cafes, a pool hall, offices, and a dry goods store where blacks and whites mingled freely. The name Catfish Alley came from the smells of Tombigbee River catfish frying in the cafes and on the streets, sold by local fishermen. 27. Jones Restaurant. 110 4th St S. Generayions of the Jones family were known for their generous portions of southern cuisine served with warm hospitality. One of them, Helen Karriem, owns and operates Helen’s Kitchen on Northside. The second floor was historically home to black professionals such as Drs. Hunter and James, and dentist and civil rights leader Dr. E. J. Stringer. 28. Masonic Temple. 324-326 Main St. Victorian Romanesque style, 1880. Note wall with sign advertising Joseph and Selma Hanna’s general store, affectionately known as “Cheap Joe’s”. The second floor housed boarders, and the third floor was used for Masonic meetings. 29. Catfish Alley mural on The Paradise Building. 400 Main Street. Painted by MUW art students and their professor in 2013, the mural pays homage to The Alley’s influence as a business and social center in Columbus for blacks and whites. The 1830 building on which it is painted is the oldest downtown commercial building. From the late 1800s to mid-1900s, it was a boarding house for African Americans, last called The Paradise. A radio station broadcast from upstairs in the mid-20th century. Turn right onto Main Street. 30. The Downtown Post Office. 524 Main St. Constructed in 1938 as part of the New Deal Administration, the “stripped classic” Colonial Revival structure was designed by R. Stanley Brown. Inside, Beulah Bettersworth’s 1940 mural “Out of the Soil” portrays cotton being harvested by workers in rural Mississippi. 31. First United Methodist Church. 602 Main St. The Methodist church is the oldest organized in the city, dating from 1831. Begun in 1860, this Gothic-style brick building has its sanctuary on the second floor with a third floor gallery overlooking it. The present church buildings have expanded to include an overpass across College Street to an activity building beyond. Turn south on 6th St. 32. Ashlawn. 520 5th Ave S 1830. A beautiful cottage built by Dr. Frank Erwin for his sister Mrs. Morrow, it was later owned by the distinguished physician, Dr. James Maxwell. Turn right on 5th Ave S. 33. A Painted Lady. 504 5th St S. A restored Victorian with turret. Now a BnB. Turn South on 5th St. Turn left on 6th Ave S. 34. Butterworth Cottage. 624 6th Ave S. Built by Thomas Brownrigg Bailey, the home only had two rooms as shown on the 1870-72 Bird’s Eye View map. Later additions resulted in a “temple type” cottage, so called because of the Gothic style front turret which resembles those found on some temples. Turn north on 7th St. 35. Haley Reeves Home. 505 7th St S. 1838. Built of handmade brick by Gray Chandler, the architect of Twelve Gables and a large land owner. The name comes from the 1940s owner, M & F Bank President Haley Reeves. A vernacular late Federal house with a Craftsman-influenced porch added in the early 20th century, the house is currently undergoing extensive renovation. 36. The Cartney-Hunt House. 408 7th St S. James M. Cartney bought the land in 1824 and sold the property to Henry W. Hunt in 1836. It is a Federal structure with an unusual hexagonal chimney which has fireplace openings in several rooms. National Register. 37. The Kerby-Love Home. 321 7th St S. 1833. David Love built this charming home with hand-carved column brackets, balustrades, and bracketed eaves. 38. The Worthington-Brady Home, 1840. 400 7th St S. A lovely Greek Revival cottage which has been updated to become a comfortable and very livable home. 39. The Amzi Love Home. 305 7th St S. A circa 1848 Italianate structure with Gothic and Greek Revival features, Amzi Love is the only antebellum home in Columbus that has remained in the same family for seven generations. The owner is a direct descendant of Amzi Love. Many of the furnishings and artifacts are original to the house. National Register. Turn east on 3rd Ave 40. The Lincoln Home. 714 3rd Ave S. Built by David Love, father of Amzi Love, the house was only three rooms intended as a carriage/guest house. Barney Lincoln bought the house in the early 1840s and expanded it. His descendants were to live there for the next 135 years. The most illustrious was Barney’s son Cicero who was a lawyer, Mayor of Columbus, and served in both the Civil and the Spanish-American Wars. Restoration Heritage Award. Turn north on 8th St, then east on College St 41. Annunciation Catholic Church. 802 College St. Construction began 1863. Fr. Mouton, the parish priest, was a trained architect. He patterned this beautiful Gothic church after Sainte Chapelle, King Louis IX’s royal chapel in Paris which was consecrated in 1248. The original sanctuary of Annunciation is considered an architectural gem. Turn south on 9th St. 42. The Max Andrews Home, c 1840. 403 9th St S. This attractive cottage was a coach stop and the home of Green T. Hill whose wife was one of the four ladies who started Decoration Day. Continue south to Rosedale. 43. Rosedale, c 1856. 1523 9th St S. Built by Dr. William Topp, the house is considered the finest example of Italianate architecture in Mississippi. Rosedale has been painstakingly and authentically restored. It features the largest collection of Rococo Revival furniture in the U.S. National Register. Turn right at the end of 9th St. Turn right at 7th St., the first stop sign. Drive north to 7th Ave S., then left onto 11th St, passing MUW. 44. Puckett House. An elegant Queen Anne brick structure dating from 1902, Puckett House now serves as MUW’s bed and breakfast. The house was moved from College Street to make room for Whitfield Auditorium. 45. Shadowlawn, c 1848. 1024 College Benjamin Catley purchased the entire city block for $9.00 and had the elegant home built in the Columbus Eclectic variant of Greek Revival style. Shadowlawn features fine antiques and lovely gardens. Now a bed and breakfast featured in HGTV’s Old Homes Restored. National Register. 46. The Mississippi University for Women (MUW). 1100 College St. In 1884, the Mississippi Legislature approved the transfer of Columbus city property from what had been the Columbus Female Institute as well as city bonds to form the Industrial Institute and College. Orr Chapel was built in 1885, and the new school opened in the Fall of 1885. 22 buildings are listed on the National Register. Historic Buildings facing College Street (from west to east) a. Whitfield Hall, 1100 College St, 1928, is the main auditorium. It was named for Henry Whitfield who served as president from 1907-1920 and then became Mississippi governor. b. Orr Building, 1200 College St, 1885, named for Miss Pauline Orr, first head of the English department. She resigned in 1912 to become a full-time suffragette. The first building constructed for the Industrial Institute and College, it contained lecture halls and a large chapel. c. Callaway Hall, 1204 College St, 1847, is the oldest building on campus and was a part of the Columbus Female Institute which operated from 1847-1877. d. Columbus Hall, 1206 College St, 1896. It was first connected to Callaway and Orr by covered wooden walkways. e. Hastings-Simmons Hall (originally Hastings Hall), 1210 College St, 1900. With Orr, Callaway, and Columbus, Hastings completed the front campus block of buildings facing College Street. Today, upperclass students live here. f. Poindexter Music Hall, the gray stone building set to the South, dates from 1904-05. It is named for Miss Weenona Poindexter who taught music at the W for fifty years, from1894-1945. 47. The Gatchell Home, 1825. 1411 College St. The home is distinguished by its double staircase entryway. It is a three story brick structure with an above grade basement. The builder is unknown. National Register. As soon as possible, make a U-turn and drive west on College St. Pass Shadowlawn at 1024 to view the front. 48. The Hazard Home. 1006 College St. 1859. This impeccably maintained Italianate cottage features a portico with delicate carvings on columns and balustrades. The Hazard family has lived here since 1938. Directions to Two Historic Cemeteries Friendship Cemetery. 1300 4th St S. Begun 1849. Burial site of many prominent Columbians, Friendship contains notable statues and monuments such as The Weeping Angel. A small Jewish cemetery, Covenant Cemetery, is contained within its boundaries. Sandfield Cemetery. 100-198 25th St S. Late 19th century. Burial site of a number of prominent African American citizens. Among these are Robert Gleed, Mississippi State Senator, Richard Littlejohn, publisher and businessman, and W. I. Mitchell, first black principal of Union Academy and president of the Penny Savings Bank. Located at Main Street and 25th St S (MLK Drive).