- This event has passed.
Morning Tours, Lunch & Learn, and Afternoon Tours
Day Package Time:9-5pm
Price: $115 adult; $85 student
Morning Tour: 9-12pm
571 Ridge Road
Constructed c. 1835, only 14 years after Columbus was founded, the single story frame house was reputed to be the post office and residence of the city’s first postmaster, Gideon Lincecum. Moved in 1846 to College Street, a brick ground floor was added to create a Charming Greek Revival southern cottage. To save it from demolition, Bob and Elizabeth Proffitt bought it for $10, then moved it to its present Ridge Road location in 1973. In 2021, John F. Klosterman III purchased the house and began a loving and thoughtful renovation. Now titled Ridge House, guests are welcomed to a fully functioning vacation rental and event space.
Owned by John F. Klosterman III
The Kuykendall House
324 4th St S
The Kuykendall House was built in 1928 by Edward Kuykendall, once president of the Motion Picture Theaters of America. Four years before in 1924, Mr. Kuykendall completed the building of Columbus landmark, The Princess Theater. The home is a Tudor Revival, an architectural style very popular in the 1920s, characterized by steeply pitched roofs, high chimneys displaying intricate brickwork, casement windows and arched doorways. Basically a time capsule, three generations of Kuykendalls, as well as numerous boarders, called it home. The home was purchased by Jamie and Jim Davidson in the fall of 2022 and is undergoing restoration.
Owned by Mr. & Mrs. James Davidson
Lunch & Learn 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
Robert Ivy Far Beyond Tara: Richness and Diversity of Historic Columbus Architecture
Highlights: Far Beyond Tara: Richness and Diversity of Historic Columbus Architecture
About the Speaker:
“Far Beyond Tara: Richness and Diversity of Historic Columbus Architecture ” is presented through the eyes of Robert Ivy, recently retired CEO of the American Institute of Architects. Born in Columbus, Robert lived in Hickory Sticks as a child, and now resides at Lehmquen. Author, editor, and practicing architect, Robert served for years as Editor-in-Chief of McGraw-Hill’s Architectural Record.
About the Venue
- Location: Lee Home. 316 7th St N.
✓ Presentation by an expert
x Handicap Accessible
Prepare for the Activity:
Event Location: Lee Home. 316 7th St N.
Important information Know before you go:
- Dress comfortably
- Any dietary restrictions or food allergies, unfortunately, cannot be accommodated
- No photography allowed
- Street parking
- Event will take place rain or shine
Afternoon Tours 2 – 5 pm
901 7th Ave N
Built by lawyer John Shelby Topp, the house originally was a Federal structure of two rooms over two with a central stair hall. The transom and sidelights around the double front doors upstairs and down could be removed easily to facilitate air circulation. Planter James Sykes bought the house in 1854, enlarged it, and added the Greek Revival portico with two fluted octagonal columns. The tour features a Civil War diary and a Brilliant Period Cut Glass collection of distinction. The home was lovingly restored in the 1980s by the late Allen Wayne Bryan and updated in 2020 by his wife Betty.
Home of Mrs. Betty S. Bryan
922 7th St N
A generous two-story front porch welcomes visitors to this unchanged Colonial Revival structure, a 20th century presentation of a favorite American architectural style, dominant from 1890 until 1940. This hilltop home, parsonage for the First Methodist Church for nearly four decades, presents an interesting example of adaptable 18th century American design. With an interior enhanced by a collection of 19th century art and French-inspired antiques, it became the aerie of the late Dr. Jack Hammond White and his wife Emilie.
Home of Mrs. Emilie Cunningham White
Sunset – BONUS
624 1st St S
The original 1906 house, built by the Smith family, was quite small. Later, it was used as a physician’s office and home. Additions and renovations in the 1920s, 1950s, and 2000 added and later enhanced the Colonial Revival architectural style. The charm of this house is enhanced by the fact that it is one of only three houses in the city that sit on the bluff of the Tombigbee River. Owners Fred Kinder and Ralph Null are renowned for their advocacy of the arts, tireless work to promote Columbus, and love of travel. The home contains eclectic collections, including one with thousands of Santa Claus figures.
The home of Fred Kinder and Ralph Null