Morning Tours, Lunch & Learn, and Afternoon Tours
Day Package Time: 9-5pm
Price: $115 adult; $85 student
Morning Tour: 9-12am
The Stephen D. Lee Home and Museum
316 7th St N
Built by James Lull for Maj. Thomas Blewett, the home was inherited by his granddaughter, Regina Harrison Lee, wife of Stephen D. Lee. Lee was a Civil War general, first president of Mississippi State University, and worked for reconciliation, historic preservation, and women’s suffrage. He was a friend of three U.S. Presidents. McKinley handed him an appointment, Theodore Roosevelt ordered flags to half-mast upon his death, and Taft asked to visit his home on his stop in Columbus. The house contains many original furnishings and houses the Florence McLeod Hazard Local History Museum.
Stephen D. Lee Foundation / National Register / Mississippi Landmark
515 9th St N
Built by slave labor for Richard Brownrigg as a copy of a family home in Edenton, North Carolina, imposing Temple Heights is four stories with two rooms and a stair hall on each floor. In 1845, the Federal style was amended by the addition of fourteen Doric columns on three sides to reflect the newer Greek Revival style. Later, Temple Heights was the home of Jane Fontaine, one of the founders of Decoration Day. The property contains three historical structures.
Home of Dr. & Mrs. Mark Novotny / National Register / Mississippi Landmark
The Kuykendall House – Bonus
324 4th St S
The Kuykendall House was built in 1928 by Edward Kuykendall, once president of the Motion Picture Theaters of America. Four years before in 1924, Mr. Kuykendall completed the building of Columbus landmark, The Princess Theater. The home is a Tudor Revival, an architectural style very popular in the 1920s, characterized by steeply pitched roofs, high chimneys displaying intricate brickwork, casement windows and arched doorways. Basically a time capsule, three generations of Kuykendalls, as well as numerous boarders, called it home. The home was purchased by Jamie and Jim Davidson in the fall of 2022 and is undergoing restoration.
Owned by Mr. & Mrs. James Davidson
Lunch & Learn 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
Rufus Ward: When Columbus Was Part of Alabama before Mississippi
Highlights: When Columbus Was Part of Alabama before Mississippi
About the Speaker:
Local historian, newspaper columnist, and attorney Rufus Ward is an authority on the history of Early Columbus. Join St. Paul’ Rufus at St. Paul’s Parish Hall for an exploration of the early days when Columbus was part of Alabama.
About the Venue
- Location: St. Paul’s Episcopal Parish Hall. 318 College. Park in the back.
✓ Presentation by an expert
x Handicap Accessible
Prepare for the Activity:
Event Location: St. Paul’s Episcopal Parish Hall. 318 College. Park in the back.
Open in Google Maps ⟶
Important information Know before you go:
- Dress comfortably.
- Any dietary restrictions or food allergies, unfortunately, cannot be accommodated
- No photography allowed
- Street parking
- Event will take place rain or shine
Afternoon Tours 2 – 5 pm
305 7th St S
An Italianate structure with Gothic and Greek Revival features, Amzi Love is the only home on tour that has remained in the same family for seven generations. Many of the furnishings and artifacts are original to the house. Amzi Love has been on the Columbus Spring Pilgrimage since 1951–72 years! Owner Sid Caradine is a direct descendant of Amzi Love. His wife Brenda is a founder of the Tennessee Williams Tribute in Columbus. Reviewed by Fodor’s Travel Guide and the New York Times Travel Magazine.
Home of Mr. & Mrs. R. Sidney Caradine, III / National Register
922 7th St N
A generous two-story front porch welcomes visitors to this unchanged Colonial Revival structure, a 20th century presentation of a favorite American architectural style, dominant from 1890 until 1940. This hilltop home, parsonage for the First Methodist Church for nearly four decades, presents an interesting example of adaptable 18th century American design. With an interior enhanced by a collection of 19th century art and French-inspired antiques, it became the aerie of the late Dr. Jack Hammond White and his wife Emilie.
Home of Mrs. Emilie Cunningham White
The Campbell House – Bonus
215 3rd Ave S
This charming Greek Revival cottage was built by John Henry Richards. Legend says that merchant William B. Weaver and his family lived here during the 1848 construction of Errolton, their home across the street. Errolton was first called “The Weaver Home,” and Campbell House was known for many years as Weaver Cottage. This structure is currently being restored, so the tour will be an architectural one. Owned by Dr. John Fields