- This event has passed.
Morning Tour: 9-12pm
Price: $40 adult; $30 student
The Stephen D. Lee Home and Museum
316 7th St N
Built by James Lull for Maj. Thomas Blewett, the home was inherited by his granddaughter, Regina Harrison Lee, wife of Stephen D. Lee. Lee was a Civil War general, first president of Mississippi State University, and worked for reconciliation, historic preservation, and women’s suffrage. He was a friend of three U.S. Presidents. McKinley handed him an appointment, Theodore Roosevelt ordered flags to half-mast upon his death, and Taft asked to visit his home on his stop in Columbus. The house contains many original furnishings and houses the Florence McLeod Hazard Local History Museum.
Stephen D. Lee Foundation / National Register / Mississippi Landmark
624 1st St S
The original 1906 house, built by the Smith family, was quite small. Later, it was used as a physician’s office and home. Additions and renovations in the 1920s, 1950s, and 2000 added and later enhanced the Colonial Revival architectural style. The charm of this house is enhanced by the fact that it is one of only three houses in the city that sit on the bluff of the Tombigbee River. Owners Fred Kinder and Ralph Null are renowned for their advocacy of the arts, tireless work to promote Columbus, and love of travel. The home contains eclectic collections, including one with thousands of Santa Claus figures.
The home of Fred Kinder and Ralph Null
The Kuykendall House – Bonus
324 4th St S
The Kuykendall House was built in 1928 by Edward Kuykendall, once president of the Motion Picture Theaters of America. Four years before in 1924, Mr. Kuykendall completed the building of Columbus landmark, The Princess Theater. The home is a Tudor Revival, an architectural style very popular in the 1920s, characterized by steeply pitched roofs, high chimneys displaying intricate brickwork, casement windows and arched doorways. Basically a time capsule, three generations of Kuykendalls, as well as numerous boarders, called it home. The home was purchased by Jamie and Jim Davidson in the fall of 2022 and is undergoing restoration.
Owned by Mr. & Mrs. James Davidson